Thursday, February 18, 2010

Trying to Find Motivation (2010 Run 8)

Date: 2/17/10
Time of Day: 9:30 PM
Location: Marriott Route
Conditions: 35 degrees F, breezy, (29 degree wind chill)
Music: Under the Dome by Stephen King
Clothing: Jacket, short sleeved wicking shirt, compression shorts, shorts
Shoes: Nike Air Pegasus 26+
 
Lately, I've been having trouble finding the motivation to get out and run. I don't know why.
 
Every excuse in the book that I can find, I use it.
 
"Oh, it's too late, I'll run in the morning."
 
"Oh, it's too early, I'll run after work."
 
"Oh, I'm so tired from work, I'll run later."
 
"Oh, I haven't eaten yet, I can't run on an empty stomach."
 
"Oh, I'm so full, if I run now I'll pop."
 
"It's too cold/snowy/rainy for running."
 
I keep having these 10-11-12 day gaps in my running. What this means is that as of yesterday morning, I had only run 7 days this year. My goal is 210. To put it in the nicest terms possible, I'm behind my goal. To be more blunt, I need to get off my fat, lazy butt.
 
Somehow last night, I was able to convince myself to head out the door.
 
The Marriott Route was just as I had left it (although at one point, I did jump when I saw the shadow of a sprinkler flag because I thought it was an animal).
 
As I have in the past, I started out with a warmup run. I ran from my starting point for 8:30 according to my watch. Usually I run around 5, but I was determined to push a little harder and a little longer due to my inactivity.
 
After a four minute walk, I kicked into gear again, ran to the halfway point, turned and ran all the way down the hill and within probably a tenth of a mile before my starting point. Time of second run - 16:00. I was contemplating doing another out-and-back at this point, so I was walking back to the starting mark.
 
Unfortunately, when I turned, I realized that I really was tired (which I felt was an acceptable excuse after running for 24 minutes). So I walked back to the point that I had stopped running, turned and ran back to the start. This only took about 2 minutes, but it allowed me to finish running.
 
It wasn't my best run and it wasn't my worst run. It was just a run. And that was the whole point. I needed to run.
 
Now I need to run again.
 
8 down. 202 to go.

1 comment:

  1. You're right about it, at least, being a run. Waiting for perfect conditions to a perfect run will only keep us from getting out there. I had a temporary setback too and did not run for almost 2 weeks then overdid it. So now, I'm resting the injury and hoping that I don't lose the motivation to get back out there when I feel better.
    Go get #9!

    ReplyDelete