Saturday, December 12, 2009

Week 5 Day 3 - FINALLY!

Date: 12/12/09
Time of Day: 12:00 AM
Location: Marriott Route
Conditions: 25 degrees F
Music: New Yorker Fiction Podcast
Clothing: Long sleeved wicking shirt, compression tights, shorts, fleece pullover, gloves, Under Armour hat
Shoes: Nike Air Pegasus 26+

I felt just a wee bit insane.

It was sub-freezing. It was after midnight. But...I needed to get my run in.

I walked out the door with no real plan. I had noticed that during my last run, I actually did better in the middle intervals after a little bit longer walk.

So I started from my usual fire hydrant. After about 7 minutes of running, I decided to pull up. I had decided not to push the first run and just consider it a warmup. Then I walked until my legs felt completely ready. And then a little further just to be safe.

Finally, I hit my turnaround point and started running again.

I took a detour and ran through an office park near the turnaround point and came back out on the main sidewalk...I looked at my watch...I had been running for 4 minutes.

For my next magic trick, I decided that I would at least try to keep running to the stoplight next to the Marriott. My legs really started to feel it, but I did a quick mental rundown of what I was feeling in them and determined that it was effort and not pain or fatigue...so I'd be best to just keep pushing.

I hit the stoplight and kept going. I didn't look at my watch. I decided I wouldn't until it was absolutely necessary, but I did notice that my first podcast had run out. That was a good sign.

The second podcast started and I ran past the entrance to my neighborhood. Since it was well past midnight, the stoplight had gone into blinking mode. I ran looking over my shoulder and headed across the street past the entrance and onto the route that I call "Neighborhood Route". I ran down to the street that I usually turn on and then turned right.

This portion of the route, as I have mentioned, is a gradual uphill. I took it on...When I hit the end of the sidewalk on the uphill, I looked at my watch.

I had run for 22 minutes.

And...it was actually pretty damn easy.

I think I'm going to try it again tomorrow just to be sure. But...WEEK 5 IS FINALLY COMPLETE!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! And uphill to boot! So jealous of your midnight runs. I have to visit my folks to do even late night runs (my own neighborhood is not conducive to safe runs by myself after dusk). Congrats!

    ReplyDelete