Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Reboot: Week 1 Day 1

Last night I restarted the C25K. It's been almost 6 months since I began my attempt to become a runner...something's not quite right here. I feel that after about December, I started to half-ass my way through it...and that's not exactly something I planned to do.
 
So last night, I began again.
 
Right now, per Weight Watchers, I weigh approximately 295 pounds. I started at 314.8. While I've been under the 300 pound barrier for a few weeks now, I want to break the 290 pound barrier at some point while I'm young, so I'm going to dig deeper and push farther.
 
I took out on a route that I've become a little more accustomed to lately. It's a 4 mile loop that's an extension of the Marriott Route that I was so fond of. I start at my trusty old fire hydrant and instead of turning around just past the hotel, I keep running all the way down to the end of the street. The route is hilly, but scenic and filled with all sorts of landmarks so I can mark my progress. Admittedly, I'll be running it in the daytime come summer due to my deathly fear of snakes.
 
It was a decent first run back...I ran it late at night as is my general M.O. I like to be on the road alone when I run, although I feel that I should invest in a reflective vest of some sort. I did see three deer, which also made me realize that it will probably be snake territory come summer. In all honesty, I've run the route two other times "off the grid" recently, but this time made it much further than I had. My first goal is to make it to the turn around point before my time runs out. That would give me approximately a 15 minute average mile.
 
My next step might be mildly controversial to C25K adherents...while I plan to add some cross training and weight training into my plan, I feel fantastic today...so I'm going to run again tonight. With the C25K plan, you're supposed to rest every other day, but I'm ignoring that. I know my body needs rest, but my last attempt showed me that the C25K may provide a little too much rest. It was next to impossible for me to complete some of the later runs, so I'm going to add more to build my endurance. I don't necessarily have a set "plan" for how this is going to work each week. Right now, the only plan is that if I feel I can run, I will run. I'm not going to push myself to the point of injury. If at some point tonight I feel that I've hit my breaking point, I'll stop it and walk.
 
If I don't, I'll just keep running.

2 comments:

  1. I've added runs before, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persistence is key. Keep at it. Just don't hurt yourself with the added runs.

    ReplyDelete