Monday, January 4, 2010

I may be crazy.. (2010 Run 2)

Date: 1/2/10
Time of Day: 9:00 AM
Location: Granny White Park
Conditions: 17 degrees F, windy, light snow, 4 DEGREE WIND CHILL
Music: Random
Clothing: Long sleeve wicking shirt, jacket, tights, lined pants, gloves, knit cap
Shoes: Nike Air Pegasus 26+
 
So...this running thing is making me a little bit insane, I think.
 
My friend Mandi is my real life accountability partner when it comes to my running. She's the only one that doesn't think I'm insane when I tell her the things I do and she's always supportive. So, for the new year, we've decided that every Saturday is Patten-Mandi Run Hour. She's afraid she's fallen off the horse...and I want someone to actually see me doing this so they know I'm not just supercreative and making the whole thing up. Also, because I wanted to prove to the Internet that I do in fact have a social life...but I digress.
 
We met at Granny White Park in Brentwood, Tennessee. The snow was falling and the temperature was...well, according to my thermometer, there wasn't one. I took a sip of water and left it on the trunk of my car. Within about a minute, the water had a layer of ice on top. It was cold. And there were snowflakes falling.
 
Granny White Park consists of a .8 mile loop. Admittedly, I didn't know how much running would actually be occurring due to my 5k the previous day and some residual Achilles Tendon soreness. Thus, I started out slowly. There was ice all along the sides of the trail, so I had to be careful not to step in any.
 
I didn't run to any specific C25K run this time either, since I knew I couldn't hit W6D3, especially not with the sore Achilles. Instead, I decided I would just run to every other song on my iPod and pray that Free Bird didn't come up. Admittedly, I didn't get all that far with it, probably running a total of 1 loop with my runs combined. I haven't done the math with the time, but I do know that the songs I ran to were "Womanizer", "Apache" and one of the songs off of the Rocky score. Probably about 8-10 minutes of total running time.
 
The soreness went away a bit during the first run and was completely gone by "Apache". However, I noticed that my entire body just felt heavy when I tried to move my legs. It was definitely a little more difficult due to fatigue. Also, my sweat appeared to be freezing.
 
When I rounded a corner on my last lap, I saw Mandi stretching and waiting at her car (yeah, she completely kicked my butt), so I figured...last run, let's end it like yesterday. I picked up my feet and went into a dead on sprint...and the finish never seemed to come...according to MapMyRun.com, my sprint was .2 miles. My legs, though, didn't feel it afterwards, which was fantastic.
 
Also, despite the 4 degree wind chill...I was hot. True story.
 
I'm starting to think this is how I'm going to end all of my runs.
 
2 down, 208 to go.

1 comment:

  1. If you're crazy, I am too! Thanks for encouraging me to get back out there. :D

    Looking forward to Saturday!

    ReplyDelete