Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Row, Noob! Row!

Rowing is exhausting. Let me start with that.

Tonight marked my realization 6th trip to the gym in 7 days...that in and of itself is a small accomplishment.

I walked in, popped on the rower and set forth on my 2000m course. The other day, I finished in about 12:30, but I really didn't know what I was doing. I had a little more knowledge today, but started out very, very fast...it was sort of like starting out a run at a sprint...I knew I couldn't keep the pace, but it was fun while I did...and I clocked a 9:44.9 while burning 111 calories. Not too bad. Plus, when I got off, I was absolutely drenched in sweat...it was definitely an awesome 10 minute workout.

For my next magic trick, I went to the old trusty recumbent bike. For some reason, tonight some guy decided to plop right in the middle one. Maybe it's me, but I like for there to be a buffer machine if at all possible. Of course, if three people are using the machines, then absolutely - all three will be used. But if you're the only one there and all three machines are the exact same...take the one on the end. Don't be all up in my hula hoop. And don't be looking at my time trying to race me...I'm not doing the same workout you are.

Anyway, I hopped on to the bike, set it at Alpine Pass level 8 and just booked it for 30 minutes while watching Wipeout (which I'm fairly certain is the only thing that comes on TV in the summer). I made excellent time and finished with 11.59 miles. I might have been able to have 12...but I probably would have thrown up or passed out if I went any harder. Now that I've significantly passed my goal for the week, I'm probably going to take it a little easier on the recumbent bike tomorrow...perhaps going down to a level 6 or perhaps doing a non-Alpine Pass route as sort of a rest day. Alpine Pass, however, is a quality program on the recumbent bike.

Finally, I made my second round on the rower. This one was going to be more of a cool down, just get reps in 2000m. I wasn't in any shape or form trying to race my previous time...until I realized that I was pulling at a slightly more consistent rate and could come close to hitting my previous time. As the clock wound down on what I intended to be an easy 12-15 minute row, I realized I had a shot to break 10 minutes again, so I pushed for it...and nailed it. Second row was 9:48.5 and I burned 110 calories. My new goal for the remainder of the week is to knock the time under 9:40.

Tomorrow, we're back to the "easy" day...recumbent bike and elliptical. I'm starting to dig this.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I have been reading your blog since the beginning of the year, and follow you on facebook. Hope things are going well for you...Update us!

    ReplyDelete