Friday, October 30, 2009

Book Review: Born to Run

Sometimes, I succumb to peer pressure.

On running message boards all over the interwebs, there's a lot of praise for Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall. I had also read that there was a large portion of the book detailing the benefits of running barefoot and on minimalist footwear (specifically, Vibram Five Fingers) and that many feel that the book has done a lot to keep the VFF flying off of shelves.

Of course, I had already purchased and used my VFF, but I wanted to read more into it, so I took a little journey over to Barnes and Noble, used a gift card and snagged myself a copy.
Let's just say, I couldn't put it down - I read the whole thing in one sitting.

Contrary to popular misconception, the book isn't about "barefoot running", it's about an underground 50 mile race through Mexican drug territory between some of the United States' elite ultramarathoners and members of a very elusive Native American tribe called the Tarahumara (pronounced Tara-oo-mara).

The Tarahumara are like real life Forrest Gumps...everywhere they go...they are RUNning! Seriously, though, they will run hundreds of miles at a time in nothing but homemade sandals made from old tires. In fact, Tarahumara runners have twice won the Leadville 100 in Huarachi sandals.

Basically, the book covers the race between the Americans (including the author) and the Tarahumara and all of the personalities in between. It's extremely fascinating, gripping and definitely one of those books you'll want to go back and reread at some point.

I defy you to read the book and not want to head out the door running at that exact instant.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! A book with motivation to run! I will have to pick up a copy and see if it does the trick!

    ReplyDelete