Saturday, October 31, 2009

Week 2 Day 2

Date: 10/30/09
Time of Day: 10:15 PM
Location: Neighborhood
Conditions: 59-60 degrees F, rainy
Music: New Yorker Fiction Podcast
Clothing: Wicking Shirt, Compression Shorts, Adidas Shorts
Shoes: Puma H Streets

Sometimes you'll start a new activity and give it up at the first chance of difficulty. Actually, most times that happens. Sometimes it will just be an inconvenience that sets you back one day...and then every day thereafter.

And then sometimes, you'll have a day when you realize you're in it for the long haul. Last night, I had my "I'm really doing this!" moment.

It was pouring...I mean, very, very, very seriously pouring. We're talking walking outside for five seconds and getting absolutely soaked to the bone.

Thus, I had an option...I could wait it out and tell myself I would run this morning...or I could lace up my shoes and head out the door, knowing I was getting soaked to the core. So...I laced up my shoes and went running. I had the iPod in an old case that covered it completely - while I had to hold it in my hand instead of wearing it on my arm, it at least didn't get wet.

As I mentioned earlier, I wore the Puma H Streets due to the blisters I got the other day. That ended up being a good idea, as my feet didn't bother me in the least. Unfortunately, unlike my Five Fingers, since I was wearing socks...it wasn't long until my feet and socks were both soaked...but I figured that was something I'd have to learn to do anyway.

With my wet feet, I proceeded on my C25K journey...all was well until I took a different route and hit a steep hill on a street I had not been on before. Of course, I happened to hit it the second that my fifth running interval started. This hill was the single hardest thing I've had to do in my C25K and I will openly admit that I almost stopped running when it was starting to get very difficult...but I didn't. I finished my interval...and then my entire exercise.

When I got back, I was entirely and completely soaked from head to toe. My shoes were wet, my socks were soaked and my Predators hat was drenched. But...I was home and I had completed Week 2 Day 2.

I'm doing this. I'm really doing this.

Tomorrow, Week 2 Day 3!

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! I need to bookmark this post to read again when I'm ready to bounce back from surgery. It's a great motivator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Good for you! I probably would have faited at the sight of the hill but you nailed it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete