Friday, October 30, 2009

Week 2 Day 1

Date: 10/28/09
Time of Day: 9:00 PM
Location: Neighborhood
Conditions: 53 degrees F
Music: New Yorker Fiction Podcast
Clothing: Wicking Shirt, Compression Shorts, Majestic Braves Shorts
Shoes: Vibram Five Fingers KSO

It was not my initial intention, but I ended up taking an extra day off between W1D3 and W2D1. My plan was to run Tuesday night, but a rain storm came through...and considering the next band was yellow (in other words, more intense and potentially with lightning), I decided that throwing my schedule off by a day was the preferable alternative to being zapped by lightning.
I made one minor change to my routine this week...instead of listening to music, I listened to a podcast. I had read that the New Yorker Fiction podcast was a pretty good one for running...and I have to agree. My run seemed to fly, mainly because I was listening to the story. Therefore, I went back and downloaded another podcast (This American Life) and two audiobooks. Also, it makes the run a lot easier for another major reason - my feet aren't trying to keep time with the music.

For Wednesday night's run, I took more or less the same route I took on Thursday, although I was able to cover slightly more ground due to the extra minute of running. The temperature (to me) was the absolute perfect running temperature...53 degrees...not a chance of overheating, but a little too high for me to be shivering. Week Two of the C25K appears to actually be easier that Week One due to the fact that instead of running eight 1 minute intervals with 90 second walk breaks, I am running six 90 second intervals with 2 minute walk breaks. In other words, I have two fewer running intervals and only a minute more of running. Obviously, this is meant to be a bridge into next week's more difficult runs, which include three minute intervals.

Once my run was complete, I took my cold shower as usual and sat down to peruse a book when I looked at the bottoms of my feet and noticed a few blisters on my toes and something that looked like tape hanging between my big toe and index toe. I pulled on the tape looking thing and when it came off, I realized it was skin from a popped blister. Ouch!

So, I've determined that my next run is going to be done in "normal" shoes...a few years ago for my birthday, my sister got me a pair of Puma H Streets...they are remarkably comfortable (I tried them out on the elliptical last night to be sure) and are still fairly minimalist (the upper is entirely loose mesh). For the time being, I believe I am going to alternate between the two pairs of shoes in order to minimalize my blistering. They do say there is an adjustment period for the Five Fingers...so...here I go adjusting!

On to W2D2 tonight!

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to chime in, say hi and wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With those early weeks of C25K, I think the changes in the intervals made them seem easier to accomplish psychologically. I remember telling myself, "only six this time," but don't set yourself up for thinking they will be easy. They will still be a challenge.

    Sorry to hear about the blisters. Were they taught and full of fluid (sorry to gross anyone out), or were they more the type you might see when you wear your shoes wet for a while? Are there any finger-style wicking socks available for use with the VFFs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were those lovely fluidy ones...but the big one had already broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the delay to start but your absolutely right to NOT run in the lightning!

    I learned something today about the podcasts! Thanks for sharing that information. I love audio books but am still at that concerned point of making sure I run when I need to run and rest when I need to rest.

    Good finish on the run even though you ended up with blisters!

    ReplyDelete