Thursday, October 22, 2009

More Shoes...

I'm trying not to Carrie Bradshaw this and make my whole blog about shoes, but*...
In my research over the past couple of days on new shoes, I've pretty much dead set on the Vibram Five Fingers.

I've found a place to go after work to try them(and have called to make sure they are in stock...as the place I tried to go yesterday wasn't even in business anymore).
Here's my theory...I'm starting running just now...essentially, I have no base with which to build off of...I'm pretty much a blank slate. Why not restart at the very beginning using the best possible method and form? My next run would more or less be Week 1 Day 2, so why not make it Week 1 Day 1 again and run it either barefoot or in minimal gear? It's worth at least a try, right?

Running barefoot (or in minimalist gear such as the Five Fingers, which are essentially an all-weather sock with a thin piece of rubber on the bottom to protect your foot from the various things that can crop up on the road to snag your bare foot) supposedly encourages a better running gait, more endurance, better speed, better foot health, better posture and a lower incident of injury.

Modern running shoes, from my readings, encourage a heel first gait, which is not the natural human running form. The natural running form is a midfoot gait...to my surprise, after doing a brief trial jog...I have a midfoot landing (probably due to my love of Teva flip flops).
Like beginning anything new...I'm going to have to take it slow...but to say that I'm excited...that would be an understatement...

So...it's off to Cumberland Transit...the journey begins!

*considering I've only seen like four episodes of Sex in the City...I feel somewhat proud of my ability to make that reference.

1 comment:

  1. So you got the shoes? This anticipation of reading your blog from last post to most recent is killing me!

    ReplyDelete