Sunday, October 25, 2009

Week 1 Day 3

Date: 10/24/09
Time of Day: 10:10 PM
Location: Neighborhood
Conditions: Chilly, 43-44 degrees F
Music: Backspacer by Pearl Jam
Clothing: Wicking Shirt, Compression Shorts, Adidas Shorts
Shoes: Vibram Five Fingers KSO

I wasn't able to actually get my run in until many hours later than my initial plan, but I did manage to run. While the run itself went well, there were several factors which affected my total enjoyment.

For starters, it was waaaaay colder than I anticipated. I had dressed planning for a 55-60 degree run...instead, it was a sub-45 degree run...that meant that instead of long-sleeves, I was out in my WalMart faux-Under Armour shirt...brrr. In addition, I found the first flaw in the Five Fingers...breathable = cooooooold. My feet were a wee chilly. I would imagine about 5 degrees colder and it might have been too cold. They make a cold weather version called the Five Fingers Flow, which I may ask for for Christmas, but considering I just bought the new pair, I don't think it's time to throw yet another pair into the rotation...I'll go through my current shoe collection and see if I can find a sub-40 degree pair...but I digress.

I took a route somewhat similar to the other night, but instead of turning into the neighborhood I went through the other night, I went past it and ran by a small shopping complex.

Running without the GPS was definitely more relaxing...I never felt that I got to a speed above my "comfortable" pace...I hope the first run next week is as doable as I think it should be considering the fact that the third run of Week One was somewhat easier than I believed.

Perhaps the weirdest/most surprising/least comfortable part of the run was when I unexpectedly ran through a line of sprinklers which all hit me directly in the face, back and iPod...other than making me cold, though, no damage was done.

I do appear to have taken at least one bad step because my left heel feels somewhat sore. However, it feels better today than it did last night...which means that when Week Two begins on Tuesday, it should feel perfect.

Next run is Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what level of cold you get in your area, but here in Minnesota, 40s and 50s can feel absolutely toasty once we've had a taste of winter. My favorite article of clothing for the cooler mornings, before I went to dual-long-sleeve layers, was a fleece vest. I'm still wearing it as it gets colder, too. The nice thing with it is that I can start with it zipped up until I get warm, then unzip it part- or all of the way to stay cool. Getting one might suit your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,
    I saw your comment on 344pounds.com and thought I'd check out your site. What you've done so far is awesome, especially running the 5k right off the bat. Most people (myself included) make that a goal for down the road, but you nipped it in the butt so you know what you're working with.
    I am a little slow in getting started into a running regime, but it is something I definitely want/need to do. Hopefully I can find some inspiration from here.
    Definitely plan on keeping up with your progress, so GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...being in the south, 40 degree weather is reason for the weathermen to start putting out warnings about staying inside and taking care of your pots, plants and pets.

    ReplyDelete