Monday, November 30, 2009

Going Off-Plan

Admittedly, I haven't run since Thursday's disaster, largely due to allowing the shin splints time to heal.
 
I can't get to 20 minutes as it stands...that is painfully obvious. This, of course, means that I can't advance to future weeks because I can't finish the W5D3 exercise.
 
So I'm going to have to go off-plan. Please do not misunderstand..."off-plan" does not mean "quitting"...far from it. It only means that I'm going to have to change my method and utilize my current built up fitness to focus on getting to 20 minutes before I can focus on getting to 30.
 
So...here's the plan: Gallowalking. For those not in the know, Gallowalking is a technique made famous by Jeff Galloway that consists of 4 minutes running, followed by 1 minute walking, over-and-over. It has been used by many to finish not only 5ks, but even marathons and ultramarathons. For me, however, it's going to merely be a training tool. I fully intend to run 20 minutes straight in the coming weeks, but I'm going to have to keep working to it. So, I figure I'm going to run as many Gallowalking intervals as possible with a maximum of 8 (which would be 32 minutes running). Then I'm going to gradually take out those 1 minute intervals and increase the running intervals.
 
Hopefully, this will get me to my 20 minute run. I don't have a set date on this one, but we'll know it's successful when I finally finish W5D3. For now, however, we're on "C25K Off-Plan Run 1".

1 comment:

  1. Hi, there. Found you via whipperton on Twitter. That's great that you have an alternate training plan. I had awful knee pain around week 3, mostly from overtraining. I couldn't handle every other day runs. Things improved when I slowed down to running every 3 days and now I can do every other day. I've been lucky though and no shin splints yet, knock on wood.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete