Friday, November 13, 2009

Week 4 Day 2

Date: 11/12/09
Time of Day: 9:30 PM
Location: Nissan Route
Conditions: 46 degrees F, clear
Music: Running Music 2
Clothing: Wicking shirt, Compression Shorts, Under Armour Shorts
Shoes: Puma Sierra Trail II

I'm not going to lie. Beginning a running program is not easy...last night reminded me of that.
I'm not a pessimist by any stretch of the imagination, but sometimes I'll get out in the middle of a run and think to myself, "There is no way I can finish this." And when you're running longer distances each week, boldly going where you have not gone before, those thoughts run through your head. As I've mentioned before, it's not a lack of confidence, it's a lack of certainty.
I finished Week 4 Day 2 last night...and it was another one of those nights that I was amazed that I was able to do it. Last night was a little different because I had taken about a 5 mile walk on Wednesday night in the Five Fingers (more on that this weekend). The bottoms of my feet were blistered and my calfs (or is it calves?) were sore. I thought about delaying my plan by one day...but then I thought better of it.

The run began a little further out than usual. I gave myself a little more time to warm up due to the aforementioned calf soreness...plus, I wanted to start past the stoplight so I wouldn't have to stop and run in circles.

The first 3 minute run was not easy. Not one bit. And it had everything to do with the aforementioned calf pain. Somehow, though, the 90 second walk loosened them up and I got through the 5 minute run...while not easily, I wasn't gasping for hair or wincing in pain, which is good. I turned around at the bottom of the hill and ran my second 3 minute interval mostly on an uphill.

For the second time this week, the last 5 minute run was the smoothest run...I promised myself I wouldn't look at the timer on my iPod until I hit a certain landmark. Normally, I'll check it every so often to see how long I have to go...and more often than not, I'm somewhat frustrated with how much time is left. It's hard not to look when you know it's there, but I promised myself I would not.

Sure enough, I made it to the landmark...looked at my timer...only :30 left. The last :30 were a complete breeze after that. I didn't run it out this time...I figured it was better for the legs to not do any extra work.

Altogether, this run was the hardest one I've done so far. At least once I actually got into the first 5 minute run, I at least knew I would finish, but due to overtraining in the wrong shoes on Friday, it was not easy. Don't get me wrong, the run is completely doable...and I finished it and felt absolutely fine afterwards...I just learned that the cross-training I do on my off days can affect my run enjoyment.

On the other hand, I can't believe I've made it this far.

-----------------

Note:
You can now access this blog from RunNoobRun.com. While the blogspot address still takes you directly here, this one works as well. Also, it makes it easier for you to tell your friends! Plus, it looks better on a t-shirt...(yes, this means I'm making myself a shamelessly self-promoting t-shirt).

No comments:

Post a Comment