Sunday, November 22, 2009

Week 5 Day 2

Date: 11/21/09
Time of Day: 10:30 AM
Location: Nissan Route
Conditions: 56-62 degrees F, sunny, warm
Music: Running Music 2
Clothing: Under Armour shirt, Compression Shorts, Under Armour shorts
Shoes: Nike Air Pegasus 26+

Yesterday's run was different for several reasons.

First of all, it was the first day time run I had made that was not a 5k. Secondly, it was honestly the closest I have come in any of my runs to quitting.

I missed Friday night's run due to getting home at a late hour and having no energy. I made a promise to myself to run in the morning. One thing that I have learned about the C25K program is that unlike in the past, when I make promises like these to myself...I keep them. And I kept this one.

Thus, I walked outside yesterday morning for Week 5 Day 2. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, which was a plus.

Week 5 Day 2 consists of two 8 minute runs separated by a 5 minute walk. While it seems like a fairly straightforward, easy exercise compared to the past few, running 8 minutes in one stretch is extremely difficult when the longest I had run so far was 5.

I started the first run and after about 3 minutes, I could very much feel it. As I've mentioned, the Nissan Route is pretty much up a hill and then back down the hill...although there are a lot of flat portions. Anyway, it was rough, but I managed to finish it.

The second run at least started out easier...but it got harder as it went on...to the point that I very, very much wanted to quit. I was contemplating what time today I could retry it...I did not feel like I could finish it. I even contemplated how to label the blog posts if I missed it...but I didn't miss it.

It was probably the most difficult last two minutes of anything I've ever done...I had slowed down to a snail's pace...and had to look very attractive as spit formed on my lips...but I managed to pull it off.

In fact, I made it back to the starting point before the music ran out, which was the first time I had done that.

I recognize that I've accomplished quite a bit at this point. In fact, I'm past the halfway point.

However, I don't know which I'm more surprised about...that the workouts keep getting harder or that I not only keep finishing them, but keep moving onto the next harder one.

Anyway, the next run is the big 2-0. The 20 minute run. After the way I struggled through the 8 minute runs, I'm not so sure how it will go, so this week I am not considering week 6 until I finish it.

I'm not sure I will finish the 20 on the first attempt, so I've set aside this week to make 3 attempts at it - Monday night, Thursday morning and Saturday morning. If I can get it...I'll move on to week 6. If not, I'll keep trying until I get it.

This is it. If I can do the 20 minute run, I can finish the program.

So...until then.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck to you!! I'm sure your complete it with no problem though.

    I've heard that once you get the first 10 minutes of running (continuously, that is) the rest is a breeze. I dunno about the breeze part, but I tried a 20 minute run last friday (at 5.5mph) and it wasn't TOTAL torture, so I was happy.

    ReplyDelete