Sunday, November 15, 2009

New(er) Shoes

Well, it only took a month...I had to go shoe shopping again on Friday night....I took the Five Fingers out for a nice leisurely walk the other day...on the way back, I looked down at my feet...and where there should have been shoe, there was skin. My new Five Fingers are already falling apart. There is a very large hole in the side of them, as you can see:

I haven't had a chance yet to see if the store I purchased them from will return them (it's on the other side of town from anywhere that I usually go, so I'm going to have to set aside a special trip just to see if they will take them back. Of course, the bigger issue here is that I'm back to needing a new pair of running shoes. Needless to say, I don't have much faith in a product that falls apart in less than 20 miles. While I understand that sometimes companies will accidentally put out a faulty product, a google search revealed that this seems to be pretty common. Thus, it was time for me to seek out a new pair of running shoes?

First, as I explained earlier, the reason I have to get new shoes is that the Puma Sierra Trails that I am running in cause blistering on the side of my feet due to the elastic that holds the tongue to the base of the shoe. I have been wearing Band Aids over the hotspot, but they are still occurring, as you can see.

The way I figure it, the sooner I get in to a better pair of shoes, the sooner I can quit worrying about the blisters popping up on the side of my foot in a longer run. And...since I'm a week away from the 20 minute run...I figured it was probably the best time to go ahead and snag a pair of shoes that will last me a while.

So, on Friday night, I went looking at a few stores...I'm sure I looked very silly running up and down the aisles of the stores trying on shoes...and I know a lot of people recommend going to a running store to get your proper shoes, but I wasn't going to spend a ton of money on shoes and felt guilty putting them through the motions and then going somewhere else for a better deal.

Anyway, after some searching, I succumbed to the lure of the mighty Swoosh. I purchased a pair of very Nike Air Pegasus 26's for $65. Also, it's Nike+ compatible. There's a small slot under the left insole for the Nike+ sensor.

My first run on them will be later this evening...and I will report on them first thing tomorrow morning.

-----------------

Note: Due to the lateness of last night's Nashville Predators game, W4D3 has been delayed until this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment