Friday, November 6, 2009

Pre-Race: Hoover Run for Hope 5k

Now it's time to talk a little race strategy...

As I have mentioned, tomorrow morning, I am running the Hoover Run for Hope 5k.

Since I'm only in week 3, it's not very realistic to think I could run this entire event. However, as the Oktoberfest 5k taught me, I should be able to run a large portion of the event.

I will begin the race by completing the W3D3 exercise. After the last interval, I will restart my iPod application and walk 3 minutes, run 1 minute and walk 1 minute. After this five minute portion, the running portion of the app should kick back in, which means I will finish with my 90 second run, 90 second walk, 3 minute run and 3 minute walk. I am not anticipating having to go all the way through W3D3 twice tomorrow, but I know it's a possibility.

Also, should this become too hard (after I have finished the running portions of W3D3), I will not hesitate walking the rest of the way in order to avoid injury. At the moment, though, I'm heading in with the thought in my head that I will be able to merely extend W3D3 all the way through the race.

My primary goal tomorrow is to finish Week 3. My secondary goal (should I complete all of my running) is to beat my PR (and only time) from 10/10 of 49:47. However, if I beat Week 3, I will come home feeling satisfied.

Race starts at 8 a.m.!

1 comment: