Monday, November 16, 2009

Week 4 Day 3

Date: 11/15/09
Time of Day: 10:00 PM
Location: Nissan Route
Conditions: 53-54 degrees F, clear
Music: Running Music 2
Clothing: Long Wicking shirt, Compression Shorts, Adidas Shorts
Shoes: Nike Air Pegasus 26+

Sometimes life gets in the way of your runs.

I had originally planned to run W4D3 on Saturday night, but by the time I got home from the Predators game, it was already past 11, which - by the time I got out on the road - would have put my run past midnight. To me, this didn't seem like the world's safest idea...so I delayed my run until Sunday.

So...Sunday night, I put on my new shoes and headed out the door. After driving around and measuring distances, I found the exact (or at least close to exact) 1 mile marker for my run. Therefore, that's where I started. My first 3 minutes of running weren't easy, but my feet weren't bugging me. More importantly, I kept my eyes off of my iPod and focused on running for the entire interval.

The first 5 minute run was even rougher. And I chalk up the problems that I began to encounter here to eating less than an hour before heading out the door. I started to get serious side stitches...and my breathing was definitely more erratic than usual. My legs felt okay, at least...it was the side stitch that was getting to me. But again, did not look down at my iPod, which means I was not as worried about continuing as usual.

I hit the 1 mile marker at exactly halfway, turned around and headed back up the "halfway hill" as I call it (I guess to myself). I still had side stitches when the second 3 minute run started. In fact, this was the hardest one of all...my breathing was funky, I had side stitches and I was running up a hill. I practically felt every ounce of my 304.2 pounds during this one. I picked a landmark that I would get to and then look at my iPod to see how much time was left...luckily, it was only :08...and I got my 90 second walk.

As per the rest of the week, the last 5 minute interval was the easiest one of the day...while I still had side stitch issues, I think the fact that I know that it's my last run must do something mentally to get me through it easier. I finished that one with no problems (and almost at the exact same point as Thursday, despite starting further back). When the cooldown ended, I was only about 20 feet from where I started, which means that I made 2 miles in 32 minutes (counting the 16 minutes of walking). Not bad when you factor in the leisurely pace of my cool down.

So...here we are. Week 5. The big one looming at the end of the week...a 20 minute run. But first, I have three 5 minute runs on Tuesday and two 8 minute runs on Thursday. I know it's there, but I have to take it one step at a time...like I have the whole way so far.

One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment