Friday, November 6, 2009

Week 3 Day 2

Date: 11/5/09
Time of Day: 10:00 PM
Location: Neighborhood
Conditions: 39-40 degrees F, chilly
Music: New Yorker Fiction Podcast
Clothing: Long sleeve wicking shirt, Compression Shorts, Champion Shorts
Shoes: Puma Sierra Trail II

We hit the 30s last night...and I was still in shorts, although I think I'm going to invest in one or two pairs of running tights tonight. As macho as I am, my legs do get a wee chilly every once in a while.

Week 3 Day 2 is complete! I took a slightly different route last night...instead of a straight-out route, I ran an out-and-back. I found approximately the one mile point in my run, got to it, turned around and ran back. It still took me slightly longer than 30 minutes, but no worries...speed comes later.

As for the run itself, the first 90 second run was fairly easy...but the first 3 minute run was absolutely brutal. As each foot hit the ground, I thought to myself, "How am I going to keep this up? There is no way I'm going to be able to run 5 minute intervals next week." I also had to step around a dead squirrel. That didn't make it any better.

When I finally hit my 3 minute mark, however, I was further than I was on Tuesday. After my 3 minute walk, I kicked in another 90 second run and decided to turn around at approximately the one mile point instead of continuing further out as I usually do. Not that I was quitting, I just wanted to see if I could make it back to my starting point before time ran out.

The second 3 minute portion was remarkably easier. Don't get me wrong - it wasn't easy by any means. However, once the chimes on my iPod app told me it was time to walk, I decided to prove to myself that I had more gas in the tank (and that I'll be able to continue next week) and set my sights on a tree. I ran to the tree...and decided to set my sights on the next tree. Then I saw the dead squirrel...and set my sights on the tree past him. Finally, I ran past a part in the sidewalk where it has a bit of a lip (that I always seem to find with my big toe) and decided to walk before I went to far and injured myself. When I looked down at the timer on my iPod app, I had added 38 seconds to the final run. And that is what gives me confidence going into next week.

Tomorrow, I am running a 5K for W3D3...obviously, in order to finish the race, I will have more intervals, but I will get into my race strategy in a subsequent post.

On to W3D3!

No comments:

Post a Comment